Has everyone else noticed how many tv characters are getting cancer lately? Izzie Stevens on Grey's Anatomy has been battling melanoma for at least 1 1/2 seasons. Lt. Van Buren on Law and Order was recently getting diagnosed and is getting treatment for cervical cancer. Kitty McCallister on Brothers and Sisters was just diagnosed with lymphoma. I'm even tempted to add Dr. Mark Green from ER, to the list, even though that was several years ago. What's up with all the cancers on TV? And I'm probably only named a few. Are the writers so out of ideas that they are just throwing around the cancer diagnosis for their dramatic cliffhangers.
Maybe its just me, but I deal with cancer enough in my everyday life, I don't need to see it on every TV show I watch. My mom recently asked me how I could watch these shows (especially Grey's Anatomy since its melanoma) and I told her I still watch them because I I have been watching most of the shows since before the characters got the disease. I'm invested in these characters. I've watched some of them for so long that they almost seem real, and I want them to be okay, even though I know they they aren't real. I still care.
Monday, October 12, 2009
TV cancer
Labels:
"brothers and sisters",
"grey's anatomy",
"law and order",
cancer,
diagnosis,
ER,
television
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment