Friday, September 4, 2009

Pre-op tests

I went for my pre-op tests today. They are supposed to be done a week before the surgery, but since I am going out of town next week, I went for them today. I figured a few days isn't going to make much difference with a x-ray, EKG and blood tests.

After waiting for at least 30 minutes I was finally able to check in and pre-register for the hospital. I was then taken to the x-ray waiting room and told to put on one of those blue hospital gowns. It's amazing how hard it can be to put them on, apparently anything with more than two armholes (these have three) is too complicated for my brain to handle. I went to the x-ray room and had to tell the technician that I wasn't pregnant and had to sign more paperwork. The they took the x-ray. No big deal, I've had so many x-rays taken over the years, I could probably take them and develop them myself.

After the x-ray I had to go back to the waiting room and sit there until they called me for the blood test. I have had blood drawn before, but this hurt more than usual. The nurse couldn't get the blood to come out of my vein and had to twist the needle a few times for it to work. Ow!

After the blood test i still had more waiting. Finally after 15 more minutes of staring into space, they called me for the EKG. The technician stuck 6-8 electrodes to my chest and the pulse points on my wrists and ankles, and I just had to lie on the table for two minutes.

Finally I was done with all the tests and I was able to go home. There is one good thing that may come out of all of this. Since I haven't seen my cardiologist in a long time at least the chest x-ray and EKG would show if there is anything that I would need to worry about.

Now hopefully I can forget about everything and just enjoy myself next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment