Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Drainage

On Monday night I had significant swelling from about an inch below my incision all the way up to the base of my skull, and it really hurt. I was sure that it was getting infected.

I woke up at 4:45 on Tuesday morning and couldn't even move my head. It hurt so much that I woke up my mom to tell her that I was calling off from work because the pain was so bad.

I laid awake watching TV until 7am, which is when I gave up on trying to go back to sleep.

Once I was finally able to get in touch with the nurse at my doctors office, she told me to come in anytime.

Thankfully the incision is not infected. The nurse told me that when a surgeon removes a large amount of skin/tissue, the body produces type of fluid. Usually the body just reabsorb that fluid, but apparently my body is producing too much fluid too quickly and my body can't reabsorb it fast enough. My swelling was probably cause by the build up of fluid. The nurse told me to put a warm, damp compress on the spot 5 times during the rest of day. It was supposed to help it drain.

It's now the next day, and while the swelling has gone down, my back and my neck are still extremely sore. (In order to get up from laying on bed, I have to roll over onto my right side, lean on my right elbow and push myself into a sitting position. i cannot roll over so that I am flat on my back or on my left side.)

I really hope this gets better, my back and neck hurt more now then they did after the surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment