Here is a letter that I wrote to the local newspapers, and also sent to my senators and President Obama:
I was born with a congenital heart defect (Tetrology of Fallot) that resulted in several surgeries before I was even a year old. When I was two years old I had to have another open heart surgery. After that things were okay, but I had to see a pediatric cardiologist once or twice a year. In 2002, at the age of 17, I had to have another open-heart surgery to replace one of the valves in my heart. I also another valve that will probably need to be replaced, but I do not even know where I stand with that one, since I haven’t seen my cardiologist since December 2007.
I have been unable to go to one since because there are no pediatric cardiologists, who are the only doctors who know how to treat my defect, because there are none who accept my limited insurance.
After my previous insurance ran out in December 2007, I tried to get under another plan but was told that I was uninsurable. I was finally able to get on a limited plan, through my work, but there are no pediatric cardiologists in that plan. If I was to go to my current doctor, I would have pay for the vist and all of the tests (and since it has been so long, there would be several) upfront; there is no way that I can afford to do that.
I do not understand how so many people can be against a public healthcare option. Those who are happy with their current health care plan do not have to do anything. They will get to keep their health care, and if they would happen to lose it, they would not have to worry because they would have a fall-back option.
The uninsured, under-insured, and uninsurable need to have a health care system. They need to be able to go to the same doctors and get the same health care as everyone else.
I am afraid to think about what might happen to me if I do not get access to the proper doctors. Heart valves usually last between ten and fifteen years. It will be seven years, in December, since I have received my valve. We all need affordable health care. If you have health care, think about what would happen if your children, grandchildren, siblings, etc. were to develop a serious disease and not have access to the medical care they needed. Wouldn’t you want them to be able to go to the best doctors?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment